How Dangerous Are The Cockroaches In Roanoke Rapids?
In life, some dangers are more obvious than others. When you gaze over the edge of a cliff that has jagged rocks at the bottom, you don’t have to think twice about whether jumping would hurt you. Finding a cockroach skittering around inside your home, on the other hand, isn’t always an immediate cause for concern. The thing is, it should be. If you have never taken a deeper look into the many dangers of cockroaches, here are a few things you should be aware of.
Cockroaches Common Around Roanoke Rapids
Roanoke Rapids is no stranger to cockroach problems; in fact, we have four native species in our area known for invading homes. Here is a basic description of each.
- The American Cockroach
Length: 1 ½ - 2 inches
Distinguishing Markings: A yellow figured eight-band on the back of its head.
- The Brown Banded Cockroach
Length: ½ inches
Distinguishing Markings: A banding that goes across its wings
- The German Cockroach
Length: ½ - ⅝ inches
Color: Light brown to tan
Distinguishing Markings: Two parallel dark bands on the back of its head
- The Oriental Cockroach
Length: 1 inch
Distinguishing Markings: None
A Few Interesting Facts About Roaches
Roaches are one of nature’s most fascinating creatures. To help you better understand these crazy pests, here are a few fun facts you should know:
- Roaches can withstand five times more radiation than humans.
- An object has to be over 900 times a cockroaches weight to crush it.
- Cockroaches can eat practically anything, including glue, paper, toenail clippings, and saliva.
- A cockroach can hold its breath for up to 40 minutes.
- A Cockroach can live over a week without its head.
The Dangers Of Cockroaches
In addition to being fascinating creatures, cockroaches are also incredibly dangerous pests. The main way these pests threaten homeowners is with dangerous disease-causing organisms.
More specifically, roaches have been found to carry over 33 different bacteria, seven human pathogens, and six parasitic worms. These sickness vectors are spread through homes from the bodies of roaches and their excrement.
On top of spreading dangerous disease, cockroaches also trigger asthma attacks with their shed skin and fecal droppings. The longer roaches there are inside a home, the more noticeable and severe this problem becomes.
Preventing Vs. Eliminating Roaches
Roaches are a thousand times easier to prevent than they are to eliminate. This is mainly due to this pest’s intelligence and it’s many durable resistant qualities. Keeping this in mind, if your home does not currently have a cockroach infestation, use these helpful tips to keep it that way:
- Clean up debris and clutter from around your yard.
- Eliminate sources of water build up around your property.
- Fill in gaps, holes, and cracks in your home’s exterior using some liquid cement or a caulking gun.
- Repair damage to weather stripping, door sweeps, and window/door screens.
- Make sure your gutters are working properly and your home’s piping and plumbing are not leaking.
- Thoroughly clean your home regularly and do not neglect cleaning under large kitchen appliances and furniture.
- Store leftover foods inside airtight containers.
If roaches have already invaded your home, or you are looking for an easier and more effective solution to keep these pests out, get the experts at Virginia/Carolina Pest Management involved. Our team of highly-trained professionals is standing by and ready to assist you in any pest-related problem you are facing.
Contact us today to learn more about our comprehensive pest control plans or have roaches removed from your Roanoke Rapids property.